01 November 2009

Step Up Stranger

So candidate numero tres is a no.

It was a somewhat heart-breaking decision to make as this was the only candidate we've pursued (this far) that we've had to reject. It's also unfortunate because we really liked him as a person, but just didn't see a ministry fit. And his wife is phenomenal. Everyone that met her asked, "Can we hire her?"
Sadly, no.

So we're back to square two...or three. I've lost track.

We also collectively admitted that this process is tiring and we're wearied. We are doing our best to find the best fit for West Side and for the Youth and we don't want to settle. For my two cents, I don't think the candidate that the committee is "looking" for can be found. No one is going to fit every one of their criteria. But then again I am a cynical optimist.

I really liked dude #2. He was reserved, but with a substantial depth. After being around him, to quote a comment I heard, "you really got the sense that he cared about you as a person and wanted to get to know you more." I think that THAT is youth ministry and really any form of ministry. I think it's all in the personal relationships.

And ironically enough, the main hang-up with him seems to be his wife. She doesn't seem ready to make a major move geographically or emotionally. She seems really attached to where she is (I went back and fixed the grammatical error there, all for you, Molls).
Albeit, we're not hiring the spouse, it's still something to consider as we want the person we hire to be supported on all fronts.

It's just so drawn and arduous.
But we're in it for the long-haul.

I just wish we had something tangible.

To commemorate, I have chosen this comic:



-KL

1 comment:

molls said...

that comic is horrible!! I love it. good job on the grammar.

I'm gonna pull the Jesus card now: (hahaha!!)

"even youths grow tired and WEARY, and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. They wil search for youth pastors and not want to strangle anything."

(I added that last part myself.)
<3