23 August 2008

Another Reason Why

Today I decided to stress myself out immensely by locking my keys in my car. Ok, so I didn't plan this out. I would have to be more twisted emotionally than I am to do that. But I did, nevertheless, lock them in the ignition whilst in the Walmart parking lot.

As soon as the door closed and I took a step away I realized it. Also, unfortunately enough, I had decided to lessen the open space of my windows and roll them up to a mere inch from the door. Had I not done this, I think it would have been easy to slip my hand in and pull up the lock.

Trying not to panic, I go in the store and figure that if nothing else, I can look for someone I know and ask to borrow their phone (ironically enough, my mom and I were talking about trying to get a family plan this morning).

As I'm walking through the bitter-white aisles, I remember the last time I did such a talented thing and how my dad used a metal coat-hanger to open the door. I proceed to find said hangers in the ginormous store that I rarely visit. (That's the other thing that was making me mad at myself, I was there for no reason, I was just bored and in the neighborhood.)

I finally found a section of hangers and picked out the cheapest set of metal ones. I bought them and walked out. I unwound the end of the hanger and straightened it out as best I could. I'm sure I didn't look suspicious at all approaching a car in the middle of the parking lot and shoving a metal hanger down the window.

After a few failed attempts, I backed away for a moment. So many people were coming in and out of my area and I didn't want to look super guilty or get called out for seemingly trying to break into a car. So, I walked around for a bit. Tried my luck with the coat hanger again and just all around frustrated myself.

As I got more and more pissed at myself, I remembered something I had learned, in the previous weeks especially: Whenever possible and whenever needed--pray. I did. I prayed for help and strength and patience. I also prayed for the courage to approach somebody I didn't know and ask for help--something I'm not good at doing even with people I know really well.

After failing a few more times with the hanger, I went back inside. I steered myself towards customer service, where I was sure there would be some sort of phone for me to use. There, of course, was a line and I turned around in frustration and embarrassment. As I turned, I literally saw the answer to my prayer.
There in the check-out lane across from me was Wendy P., the amazing office lady from the church I worked at all summer.

I quietly approached her and after a brief "how's it going" conversation, I asked if I could use her phone to call home for an extra set of keys. I was instantly calmer and at peace (though thoroughly embarrassed). Over the phone, my mom was not quite as calm as I was. She couldn't find the spares and had to call my dad in HI.
Wendy gave me a ride home, where my loving brother laughed at me for my mistake. We eventually found the keys and Ben gave me a ride back to my car.

I know I'll be able to look back at this incident and laugh, but more importantly, I'll be able to look back and see how God was working in the situation and how He answers prayers (in really awesome ways that I never expect). I'm sure He was easily laughing with me as well.

-KL

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Faithful in prayer.

When I was 60 miles from the closest gas station and on my last 2 gallons of gas, I prayed. A LOT.

And I got the best gas mileage of my life!

It's funny now. It wasn't when I was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, missing my water bottle and my friends.

molls said...

I imagine Wendy is the answer to many a prayer. What a great way for God to show up :D

I MISS THE POOP OUTTA YOU!